Friday 17 November 2017

Frustrations


This week has been a frustrating week as I feel that I am "spinning my wheels" and not getting anywhere. I have decided to take a step back and try starting again but from a different angle. I am hoping that I can tie in some of the previous work that I have done because I have spent so much time on this already and I need to move forward.

What I wanted to communicate was how collaborative inquiry has been the focus of our LLC this year and how it is having such a positive impact on so many different areas of our school. Through collaboration and inquiry teachers are working together to create learning environments that are not only innovative and but also support and enrich student learning. The shift from teachers and students working in isolation to them collaborating and sharing is changing how our school learns. The LLC is a big part of driving and supporting this change. 

I was asked by my administration to present to a group of teachers and administrators from another district and share what our LLC has been doing to support the learning in our school. I began preparing two different presentations, which I shared in my previous post, but neither really works for this project. I feel like I have so much I want to share but I am struggling with how best to present this. I want to use technology in innovative ways and have already learned some useful skills while using Powtoon and Moviemaker, but neither are working for me and this project.

I have restarted by going back to the "Vision of the Future" and framing it around transforming a Library to a Library Learning Commons. For the past two years I have been using the Leading Learning document to help set goals, guide my decisions and document growth about our transformation. This year has been a very exciting year because our school has embraced collaboration and inquiry learning and as a result the Library Learning Commons has seen significant growth in all of the standards of practice. These are the key elements that I would like to communicate in my vision. 

I have started to create a slide show that attempts to communicate this. Here is what I have so far:

I am not sure if this is going to accomplish what I am aiming for either. I don't want the presentation to be boring.
Image Courtesy of: https://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/imagesvr_ce/6916/boring%20presentation_350.jpg


I have so much that I would like to share about what we are doing in our LLC and where we are heading but feel limited because I am trying to make it a visual presentation. Right now I am thinking that maybe I should just write my vision as a document. Anyway this is where I am currently at.


Works Cited

Canadian Association of School Librarians, Leading learning: Standards of practice for school library learning commons in Canada, 2014. http://llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca/


Parallel Studios. (2016) Unsatisfying. Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/189919038

3 comments:

  1. Rats! That stuck feeling is the worst! Have you tried this app called "Explain Everything" yet? I have colleagues who have used this for flipped classroom lessons and they really like it! There is a free version too I believe ...
    Good luck!
    ~ Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,
    I can completely feel your frustrations. I took a look at your slideshow and it looks great so far! Is there a way to maybe embed part of your videos within the slideshow? Could you also "interview" students and staff about how collaboration and inquiry learning has benefited them? Sorry not sure I am being of any help! :( Good luck this week!
    P.S Thank you for sharing your website link last week. There are some great ideas and I may refer to it as I build my own.
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, I think the best platform and tool for sharing what you are doing and what is working as part of your transformation is yourself. You are the best tool to share your enthusiasm, excitement, and passion for this project. I would work on a presentation slide deck that can complentent you speaking and sharing in front of an audience. People connect with other people, not videos, or websites. Find a way to capture the key details in a presentation, and then connect that with you, in front of the audience and you have a great way to share your learning and growth. Incredibly frustrating video to start off was great!

    ReplyDelete

Reflection and the Final Vision

Image courtesy of: http://mosamuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/the-end.jpg Not only am I nearing the end of this course but also ...