Friday 24 November 2017

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I
Image Courtesy of: http://www.corporatecomplianceinsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/light-at-end-of-tunnel.jpg
After the frustrations of last week I am beginning to see the "Light at the end of the Tunnel". I received some great feedback from Aaron and some of my classmates and from this I was able to think a little differently about my Final Vision Project. 

Prior to this week I struggled with communicating how collaboration and inquiry play such an important role in our school library learning commons. I tried making a video using Movie Maker and was happy that I was quickly able to learn how to use it, but I was not able to communicate clearly everything that I wanted to share. I then created a Powtoon presentation and again acquired some new tech skills, but the content of the video was not what I wanted to communicate. At this point I was getting really frustrated as I am sure is evident in my last two blog posts. I had spent so much time on both of these presentations and neither of them was going to cut it as a Final Vision Project.

The feedback that I received in the last few weeks really helped because it made me realise that I am really passionate about being a TL and I work really hard to help and support staff and students with their learning. I am always ready and willing to collaborate in any way I can and my school knows this. The trouble I have is that I do not like to talk about myself and do not really like to have the attention focused on me, I just like to do the work. So when I was asked to present to a group of teachers and administrators I think this was why I was struggling so much with not being able to communicate my vision. Aaron's words were very encouraging: "You are the best tool to share your enthusiasm, excitement, and passion for this project." This made me realize that an amature video is not going to communicate the passion and hard work that is needed to create collaborative learning environments where inquiry learning flourishes. The best way to communicate this is through me.

I am in the process of creating a Google Slideshow that will help me communicate how I use Collaborative Inquiry to meet the 21st century learning needs of my school community. The presentation is a framework to support and enhance my presentation about the work that has been done through our LLC and the impact that it having on everyone involved. 

This has been a very frustrating process for me but I have come to the realization that I can help communicate to others the critical role a Teacher Librarian plays in supporting a school’s learning needs. I have not really spent a lot of time advocating for TLs or communicating to others the importance of a thriving LLC because my school already values our LLC and the work we do together.  But I realize that this is not the case for all schools and perhaps I can help others by presenting how we use Collaborative Inquiry to support our school community.

Image Courtesy of: http://ilovelibraries.lechleidermitche.netdna-cdn.com/sites/default/files/school-librarians-transform.JPG



4 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,
    I'm from the Bears group but read your post. I thought I'd pass on an approach that I'm using with my grade 11 English class for their inquiry presentations. It's called pechakucha (Japanese for chit-chat) and it is basically a PPT or prezi but with the focus being brought back to you and your story by limiting the number of slides to 20, and the time for each slide 20 seconds (for a total of 6 min 40 sec). You can then present live or record your voice, which is really easy to do on both PPT and prezi. It was meant to decrease overloaded, text-heavy slides, and instead just use key words and provocative images to support your story. You could also play with the length and number of slides; rules are meant to be broken! I can send you some of the handouts that I have - lots of examples and tips online at pechakucha.org and on YouTube (some better than others). My email: jmendgen@vsb.bc.ca
    Just thought it may fit with your project - you could pre-record your voice (which may be kind of nice for the presentation to your co-workers) but it is still your story, and can talk further in person afterwards.
    Cheers, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi I'm from the orca group but read your post too! i can relate to how best to get across a message and I also found it tricky as i tend to use to many words. the suggestion above is great and one i had not heard of. I look forward to your google slide presentation i have used it once and liked it and for a change i'm trying Buncee for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's been quite the learning journey for you - while it can be frustrating to feel like you're "spinning your wheels" it seems like a lot of growth has come from that process. I can't wait to see what all your hard work has yielded!
    ~ Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good blog post that communicates your new learning, awareness and understanding of the importance of your passion and enthusiasm. These are harder things to 'bottle up' and share, but your idea for a solid presentation and slidedeck will be a valuable strategy for communicating your new understanding and awareness of the importance of a LC and T-L to your school community. Good check in and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Reflection and the Final Vision

Image courtesy of: http://mosamuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/the-end.jpg Not only am I nearing the end of this course but also ...