Friday 6 October 2017

The Joy of Reading


love book.jpg
Image courtesy: https://www.cilip.org.uk/blog/reading-pleasure-empowerment

Reading for pleasure and giving choice to students are two areas that I have been working on to try to foster a reading culture. There is ample evidence demonstrating that both of these factors have a powerful impact on student achievement. Stephan Krashen speaks about it in The Power of Reading, and Dawn Finch writes about the research that supports these concepts in Reading for pleasure and empowerment. Based on these findings I started two initiatives that have been successful, and I am currently working on another one. Hopefully I can continue to foster a positive reading culture in my school.



The first initiative was started two years ago when I worked really hard to update our English Language Arts novel book room. In the past it was filled with class sets of novels with the majority of them being classics or published at least 10 years ago. Certain class book sets were only to be used by certain grades.  In talking with our school planning team it was decided that instead of purchasing class sets of novels we would purchase sets of 10-15 so that we could have more titles and thus more choice for students. We would also provide professional development to teachers for using Literature Circles in their classrooms.

I was really excited because I had worked very hard to find books in a variety of genres that would also cater to all types of readers. We had science-fiction, true stories, fantasy, graphic novels, mystery, humour, historical fiction and dystopian and many other types, and students could choose a book that they wanted to read. What better way to foster the joy of reading? I also did not put books into grade groups because I felt that there were enough choices and options.

About half of the English teachers at my school were ecstatic and couldn't wait to share all the novel choices with their students. Many of them had read the new novels and loved them. The other half were really upset because the classics they had previously used were either no longer available, or only 10-15 were available. They were also upset because they didn't know what Lexile level the new novels were and how were they going to match their students with the proper level of book. They did not want their students reading something that was too easy. Interestingly enough, they had not read the new novels.  I was so deflated and really was thinking that what I had done was a disaster. I talked to our school planning team and voiced my concerns and frustrations. My vice principal put the following article in my mailbox  Every Child, Every Day.

This article demonstrated the importance of students reading books they choose based on what interests them. After reading the article I felt that I had professional data to backup my cause. Later on in the year, students who were participating in literature circles came into the library in droves, many excited about the new books and looking for a sequel or another book like the one they had read. The enthusiasm was very noticeable. What started to happen was students who were not doing literature circles started asking their teachers why they were not doing them. Pressure was being put on the teachers from the students. This year there are more teachers wanting to try literature circles and are starting to see the power of choice.

The second initiative was specifically geared toward grade 9 English teachers at my school. They were the ones most reluctant to the change I spoke about earlier, so I created a bibliography of novels. I also put together a literature circle unit that I offered to co-plan and/or co-teach with them. The intent was to try and open them up to new philosophies about reading: allowing choice and reading for pleasure. I tried to anticipate every possible student: reluctant readers, voracious readers, ELL students, resource students, readers who struggle and everything in between.  I also had students read and provide feedback on the books I had selected. Knowing that some of the teachers were still teaching novels that would be considered classics I wanted to provide a variety of genres as well as formats so that they could be exposed to the endless possibilities of choices available to teachers and students.

In the face of adversity, what causes some individuals to prevail while others fail? This was the inquiry question that I prepared for grade 9 English teachers at my school, and that I asked their students to answer in the Literature Circle Unit. The idea was that by having students look at different characters and the unique situations they face they would be able to articulate the character traits, choices, attitudes, and mindsets that are necessary to overcome adversity. By comparing and discussing the differing characters, situations, environments, beliefs, and values in the variety of novels, students would hopefully be able to define what resilience, grit and survival mean to their characters. The hope was that through this inquiry students would carry their knowledge of survival and resiliency over into their own lives, and this would allow them to see that adversity can be overcome, and what it takes to overcome it.  

Finally the initiative that I am currently working on is creating an online presence for the LLC. Currently students can browse the school library catalogue, use tools on the library website like Bookseeker and LibraryThing, or ask me to help them if they need a book to read. We have ordered Overdrive and should have it up and running this week. This will allow students to take out eBooks and audio-books from wherever they are 24 hours a day. My hope is that with this technology students will be better able to get their hands on books that they are excited to read or listen to, and will have a positive effect on the reading culture of my school.


Works Cited

Finch, Dawn. "Reading for pleasure and empowerment" The Library and Information Association. Posted on 3 August 2015. Retrieved Oct. 6 2017. https://www.cilip.org.uk/blog/reading-pleasure-empowerment

Allington, Richard L, and Rachael E Gabriel. "Every Child, Every Day". Reading: The Core Skill.
March 2012,Volume 69, Number 6.Retrieved Oct. 6 2017. http://www.prn.bc.ca/lyrics/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Every-Child-Every-Day.pdf


4 comments:

  1. Julia,

    I really enjoyed your entry and have definitely faced some of the same challenges as you in the past. Our book room at my previous school was filled with many books that were literally falling apart (not to mention covered with dust from the 1970s)! It sounds like you really had some great success with literature circles at your school, and I totally agree that having a choice in reading material can completely improve the reading experience for students.
    We had an issue at my school where there were only 10 or so copies of certain books, so we didn't have enough for a class set. I decided the best thing to do was to have multiple mini-lit circles, sometimes with only 3-4 people in each. As such, I offered about 10 different book choices and the students loved it!
    It also sounds like you're doing a great job making materials available online to your students, this was one of the suggestions I found from other librarians during my research this week. It's something I could definitely work on myself, so I found your post very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,
    Great post! Good for you for continuing on with your English literature project, even though half of the teachers were not on board. What I have realized in my 13 years of teaching is that we cannot please everyone even though we try our best to do so.
    I absolutely love the inquiry question you prepared for the Grade 9 English literature circle, as I feel it is right on point with the new BC curriculum and 21st century learning!
    Thank you for sharing some of the online resources you are using in your school. I have never heard of Overdrive, but it seems like an app students at my school would very much enjoy! I will definitely look into it this week.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia! Yay the use of Literature Circles at the secondary level! In my experience those have been scarcely found but they are gaining ground :)
    I can't emphasize enough how the element of choice can be critical to encouraging a reading culture, particularly those more reluctant readers. I'm happy to see that the use of graphic novels and such are beginning to be recognized as literature too and used in schools. And while the use of classics has a place in our classrooms, it's nice to see the addition of more modern fare in lit kits as well. Your risks clearly paid off, despite some resistance.
    - Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done reflective blog post that shares with others how persevering through some challenges and struggles really reinforces that you are doing the right thing for the students in your learning community. A good description of a very practical and achievable strategy for engaging reluctant readers, getting some 'buzz' going at your school and collaborating and supporting your eager teachers. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection and the Final Vision

Image courtesy of: http://mosamuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/the-end.jpg Not only am I nearing the end of this course but also ...